Monday, June 9, 2008

Why I shouldn't be allowed to write about music

I read a lot of music blogs and magazines, and I know what's hip and cool with all those cats. And I know that they'd never let me sit at their music-reviewing lunch table for 4 simple reasons. Basically it's a sort-of pet peeve list regarding music press and bloggers.

1. I don't like Radiohead.
It's not just a lack of like, it's an active dislike. But even more than my dislike for Radiohead is my disgust for Thom Yorke. I don't get him. His music is the absence of everything I like about music. He drones. He has no structure, no real harmony. And it pisses me off that he's so popular. It actually makes me angry. That's how much I dislike him.

2. I enjoy U2, and think Bono is a pretty decent guy.
I don't understand some of the finer points of music elitism, and this is one of them. Everybody who's involved with the music journalism industry seems to have it out for Bono. "He's pretentious." "He wears sunglasses inside" "He's called Bono". I don't see how any of these are basis for irrational hate. Kanye wears freaking venetian blind sunglasses inside. Where're his haters? And how do you know that he's pretentious? Have you met him? Maybe I'm a naive fool, but I think it's nicer to have an irrational like of somebody as opposed to an irrational hatred. But what do I know?

3. I don't see what the hubub is about Daft Punk and Nirvana
I mean, I think they're alright bands. But nothing fancy. Maybe it's just one of those "you had to be there when they changed the music world" deals. I was in elementary school the huge years of both artists, so I guess I wasn't there.

4. I don't listen to music ironically
It seems like everyone has to have something ironic on their iTunes to be hip and chic today. Whether A-Ha, Backstreet Boys, or Hannah Montana, that's how they show their irony chicness. And the more godawful one-hit wonderness it is, the cooler they are. I have A-Ha's Take On Me because I like listening to it. It makes me smile. I have Taylor Swift on my computer because my lady gave it to me and it grew on me. I like Joss Stone. Even the new stuff.


Later today/tonight: Album Review

No comments: