Saturday, June 7, 2008

Album Review: The Red Album (Weezer)

I like Weezer. Almost all of their back catalog I think is pretty good, if not great.

However, the very thought of listening to anything Rivers Cuomo has touched ever again makes me angry. Yes, angry. This album isn't just bad. It's bad enough that it ruins every other Weezer album. I wanted to like it. I really did. I just can't though.

Maybe I'm not being fair, since I promised myself that I'd listen to it all the way through no matter what, and I yet I can't bring myself to do that. But when I hit a song comprised of the lyrics "Everybody get dangerous everybody get dangerous booyah" I draw the line. This is music made for Nickelodeon action movies targeted towards 5th graders. I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe Linkin Park produced it, I have no idea. Basically, it sounds like Weezer took their geeky hook filled fun sound, sat on it and wrote music over it while gripping the pen tightly with their butt cheeks. The album isn't fun. It doesn't make you smile. Weezer should make you smile. Even when it's bad.

Hell, Beverly Hills is a bad song. But it's fun at least. You can hum along on a sumer day. This album refuses to give you even that small pleasure. Weezer really went for a darker more experimental sound. Weezer failed.

BZZAZ.

Update: a more objective less angry track by track review of the same album tomorrow. Also a review of the Cat Empire album So Many Nights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pork and Beans" is all right, and it doesn't sound too different from their usual style. The music video is really amusing, too. I'm probably a dork for saying that, but oh well. Have you seen it yet? I haven't heard the rest of the songs on the album so they very well may suck, but watching the music video should at least amuse you if you were a Weezer fan before.

I own the Blue album, but I really haven't heard much from Weezer other than "Hash Pipe" and even then it was because who could escape it on the radio? I know you said you liked everything they've done previously, but do you have any suggestions of things they've done between then and now that I might like?

Anonymous said...

Also when I said, doesn't sound too different from their usual style, that's based off my very limited experience of the Blue album. So, uh, maybe THAT was different, too.

I'm not in love with "Pork and Beans," but I did really like the music video. I need silly music videos to keep my entertained like Electric Six or Fatboy Slim. Otherwise, I get distracted, and just listen to the song.

Arik said...

The music video is definitely entertaining, but I dunno. It feels like a Youtube video, not a real music video. It's like they made a youtube album, not a real album.

Anyways, I'd suggest Pinkerton, The Green Album, and Maladroit.