Saturday, June 7, 2008

Musical Explorations for the past week

I listen to a lot of music, so I'm going to start doing this on a weekly basis. It'll be a catalog of all the new things I listen to over a week. I'll start this week with the one album I bought physically: So Many Nights by the Cat Empire.

This album is funky. Yes, funky. I found it in Borders at one of those listening stations. Normally I'm hesitant to enjoy anything related to cats, but I gave it a shot. The first track sold me. It's catchy. Fun. Hook filled. Has a vague ska feel, but not really. It has turntables, but it's not a turntable song. It's just fun music. The whole album is that way too. The piano is always jazzy, sometimes has a Spanish flair, sometimes has a downbeat feel. Basically, this Melbourne album is fun, good, and perfect for summer.

Hearing this album made me wonder what else from down under I was missing. So allmusic.com led me to The Beautiful Girls, Xavier Rudd, and Ari Hest. Unfortunately, I've only been able to give them brief listens. But I like what I heard. Especially The Beautiful Girls. Very chill.

What I have listened to this week though is Weezer's new album (terrible, see previous post), and the first album by the Eels.

Beautiful Freak is amazing. It's slick, but not over produced. The lyrics are incredible and billowing with imagery (can you billow with imagery?). I love everything about it. It's fun, but not entirely light. It has a lot of good serious moments. Novacaine for the Soul is probably my favorite track from it, along with My Beloved Monster (which most people will recognize from Shrek). Anyways, between this and Cat Empire, and even in spite of Weezer, this has been a good week for music. Full review of Cat Empire tomorrow.

No comments: