Saturday, June 7, 2008

Album Review: So Many Nights (The Cat Empire)

As I've mentioned, I am in love with this album. Everything about it is almost perfect. Given only word to describe it I would pick funky. And I don't normally like funky.

The album opens with a bass heavy, jazzy piano turntable scratchy super catchy title song, So Many Nights (video below). First time I listened I expected to be disappointed by the rest of the album, since it's so good. I was wrong.




After this song, the album slows down a little bit, with a track called Panama. But make no mistake, being slower be no means makes it bad or less of a good song. However, it's the song directly after that solidified my love for this album: Fishies. Very Latin influenced with a strong trumpet and a Cubano style piano.



I don't know how all the elements blended to make this song so great, but I don't really care. It's heaven. Thankfully, this band is not just strong musically. The lyrics are really well crafted and fit perfectly with the singing. Sunny Moon (my favorite track) is a great example of this.

You may forget the details and you can forget the dates but never
Forget the moment when the light revealed her face
To be poor by lack of money but by god be rich in prize
I found my youths desire dark within her eyes
And the tent kept breathing something and then she cried -
'Hold on we're going somewhere else tonight'

This band really does it all, and does it all well. Between this album and their older album, Two Shoes, I've found my summery music for the summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first song sounds great, and the second song is good. I'll have to check out more from this band. Thanks for posting this review.

Anonymous said...

I purchased Two Shoes back when it first came out because I think they went out to Cuba or somewhere to record it, and that was supposed to be a big influence on the sound. And I really liked it. I figured the other stuff that they recorded back home would be less amazing.

How does So Many Nights compare with Two Shoes?

Arik said...

Well, I didn't hear Two Shoes first, but I listened to it almost directly after falling in love with this album. And I personally think this second album is better. I mean, Two Shoes is really really good, but I think they've just improved on a lot of things. The Cuban influence is still there, and the songwriting has gotten a lot stronger. I definitely recommend it.