Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sincerity

This movie trailer recently got me thinking. How sincere are we? How sincere am I? What does it mean to be sincere?

To be sincere means to speak truly about one's thoughts, feelings, and desires. This does not mean wearing emotions on your sleeve, but just being real. It's so easy to hide behind walls of cynicism, sarcasm, irony, jokes, all of that. It keeps us "safe". But when we're so closed off from what we really feel and what everyone else really feels, it's just an empty security.

For me, I like to think I try and be as sincere as possible. I've actually been working on it a lot the past few months, and I feel like I'm a pretty sincere guy. I know I can be sarcastic and joke around in a way that hurts people's feelings, but I'm working on it. At the end of the day, the way people are so mean to each other just sucks. It's so unnecessary and it sucks. Why did our generation get this way?

No comments: