Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I have a secret love for country music

It's true.

I mean, not even the hip alt-country stuff like Wilco (overrated, by the way). I mean, I like some alt-country, Ryan Adams would be the prime example, along with the Jayhawks, Son Volt, and Uncle Tupelo. But I mean real country. Buck Owens. Hank Williams Jr. and Sr. Gary Stewart. Gram Parsons. Loretta Lynn. Dolly Parton.

That's music with a soul. I mean so much of what's popular and critically well received is this trashy flavor of the month indie/electro/pop sound. Like the Ting Tings. It has no soul, no passion, no heartache. I mean, I love a catchy song as much as the next person, but it gets old quickly. But songs like I've posted below- they are eternal.


Buck Owens- Excuse Me, I Think I Have A Heartache


Loretta Lynn- Portland, Oregon


Hank Williams Sr.- Lovesick Blues


Love Hurts- Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris

No comments: