Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Album Review: From Every Sphere (Ed Harcourt)

I don't know where I picked Mr. Ed Harcourt up, but I'm glad I did. Anyways, From Every Sphere was his second album, released in 2003 on Astralwerks Records (Heavenly Records in the UK). It's a melancholy album, to say the least, but fantastic in so many ways. I guess it's nothing original, but the songwriting is incredibly strong, and Ed has this way of making every song memorable.

Anyways, to start, the album is immediately, well, melancholy. I can't think of another way to say it really. From track one, Bittersweetheart (how is that not a melancholy name even?) it's sad. But not in that incredibly frustrating poor-me-my-life-sucks way. It's sweet-sad. And with some exceptions the music swells with orchestral instruments behind it.

Again, it kicks off with Bittersweetheart (I like plays on words) which sets the tone for most of the album. It's chamber-popish, which strings, pop melodies, and just a good feel. And the album keeps that feel pretty consistently, until about 3/4 of the way through. In those first 3/4 even the supposedly upbeat songs have a sadness about them, something truly haunting. But track number 8, Watching The Sun Come Up changes that. It's uplifting, expanding, and absolutely gorgeous. It's one of those songs that just builds and builds until the symphony just explodes behind him (like a dawn, I assume was the intention).




The only misstep on the album I think is track number 3, Ghost Writer. It's a prog track, and really just not very listenable. He abandons all pop feeling, all melody, and leaves the listener with a dark gross dull track. However, deleting it from iTunes immediately fixed the problem for me. The album (and by extension, my ears) doesn't miss it at all.


This is All Of Your Days Will Be Blessed, another great song from From Every Sphere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember someone gave me a mix in junior high that had She Fell Into My Arms and I listened to that song on repeat for months. I forgot about it by the time I had more access to music and never tracked down any of his other stuff, but now I'll have to. Those tracks you posted are pretty great.